Friday, July 30, 2010

Would you support a law that required people in relationships to do equal portions of house-work?

If so, how would you enforce this law? Also, how would reconcile the passing of this law with the 4th amendment?Would you support a law that required people in relationships to do equal portions of house-work?
No.


If people are old enough to be in relationships they should also be old enough to sit down and discuss the ';who does what'; part of that relationship.


It's an impossible law to enforce.





';911, what's your emergency?';





';My husband didn't take out the trash!';





Brilliant way to waste tax payers money.Would you support a law that required people in relationships to do equal portions of house-work?
No.





First, I wouldn't support having to register and legally qualify relationships.





Second, I wouldn't support the sort of bookkeeping and rigidity necessary to quantify and equalize the amount of housework being done.





Doing housework is kind of like paying for dinner: if there's a serious dispute over who's doing how much, the relationship probably isn't very valuable to begin with.
No. This is something that has to be worked out privately. If one partner in a couple is dissatisfied with the amount of housework the other is doing, or not doing, then it needs to be thrashed out between them. It's not something you can legislate for, it would be too intrusive.





My personal experience is that when both are working, the one who cares more generally does more, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.
No, but I'd support anyone willing to launch an armed overthrow of any government that wanted to get too far into my private life.





Equal housework is a stupid idea unless both people work jobs with similar hours, and even then it depends.





I assume we also expect the wife to climb up on the roof for repairs half the time, do the tune-ups and oil changes on the car, etc?






No. I think partners should contribute equally but that's their business not the governements.





If I work a 12 hour day, which I do regularly, my husband does far more housework. It wouldn't be fair if I had to do an equal amount because he only worked for 8 hours.





But if he feels I'm not doing my fair share he can leave me, not take me to court.





I have friends who do 100% of the housework and work full time. I think that's crazy but it's their business.
No.





We have enough laws. We need to simplify.





Who will measure what is equal, will an inspector have to be paid. Fines, probation, jail, prison, parole, probation cause ya didn't rinse the dishes before dish-washering them..





That is going too far. What will not be regulated....
Nope. Just because I don't like the way things tend to be done, with women doing the majority of the housework, childcare, and emotional work of marriages on average, doesn't mean I want legislation to change that. That's fascism, that is.
No, that's daft.





How would it be enforced? Hm, maybe you'd be sent timesheets that you had to fill out and submit by a certain date every month. If the time. But then people would just lie because they wouldn't want to go to jail or be fined if their timesheets didn't match up. Fun.
I'd really rather I keep doing most of it besides the stuff I really hate to do like taking out the trash and cleaning the food bits out of the sink.





It's law in our house that he perform those two tasks, and I'll handle the rest. So far, works well =o)
No, that would be one silly law.


If one partner works full time,and the other is a SAHM or SAHD, then the person at home should do most the housework, but if they're both working then they should split the household work.
No. Using the legal system to legislate cultural practices and ';moralities'; is sickening to a society, fascist, weakens it. I don't think marriage itself should be a ';state'; matter. It's a religious concept.
No, that would be a ridiculous governmental meddling with people's private affairs, and it would be completely unenforceable.
No, it's something for them to work out between them. It wouldn't be economical or sensible for the government to get involved.





Harriet
I wouldn't support a law - but the solution is simple. If you're not happy with your partner's housework, leave them. No-one forces people to stay in relationships they consider unequal :-)
No.





I don't want the government interfering in my household any more than is necessary for my immediate health and safety.
That law would be completely ridiculous then the government is definitely getting too involved in our lives.
Only if they worked equal hours, earned equal amounts of money, and initiated sex an equal amount of time.
No, clearly there's no point in advancing legislation which simply cannot be enforced. This is a waste of taxpayer time %26amp; money.
Of course not! Laws shouldn't intrude into peoples private lives. Working women just need to get some backbone, and insist she get fair help with the house work.
No cause there are some things I dont like doing and some things he doesnt like doing. i dont want a law making me do things I dont want to.
No, I support speedy no-fault divorce if either party is not happy. That's what I always do.





I finally got it right with wife # 3 !
No, every relationship works differently.
I would. Very much so.





Then I would use the law to get out of any one night stands that might turn into a relationship.
No, come on now. Some things should be left to married people to work out.
Oh hell no! Our entire family would have been wiped out if my husband was responsible for cooking.
No, because i don't think people would ever follow it.
That's just dumb. No.
No I wouldn't.





- Because most relationships are heterosexual.. and most men earn more than most women%26gt;%26gt; therefore the men would simply be doing more work than her. ('obviously more', because men generally do more anyway, but in this case it would be unreasonable)

No comments:

Post a Comment