Friday, July 30, 2010

How are HIV positive people able to safely have relationships?

I heard that people with HIV are able to safely have regular relationships.





I even read an article about a person who was able to marry an HIV-negative person and naturally have a child. Neither the husband nor the child have the disease. How does that work???








And would you go out with someone who was HIV positive?How are HIV positive people able to safely have relationships?
In 2005, my father died of complications related to AIDS after a twelve year struggle with the virus.





My mother and my father did not know that he was HIV-positive until six months after my little sister was born, in 1993. In other words, they probably had unprotected sex from their marriage in January 1988 until his diagnosis in November of 1993. My mother, my sister, and I are all HIV-negative.





My mother is a unique case. She has a very rare (less than 1% of the caucasian population) genetic deletion mutation. Her T-cells are not equipped with CD4s. In order for HIV to infect a T-cell, a CD4 connection must be present. Because she lacks that connector, her T-cells cannot be infected by HIV. The mutation is called the delta-32 mutation, because it's a deletion of 32 units in the normal gene sequence are missing. My mother didn't know about this mutation until 1997. In other words, my parents were incredibly lucky because my father married the one woman he could safely have children with.


(My sister and I are each at least heterozygous for this mutation and therefore have some, but not necessarily total, resistance)





It is possible that the husband in your scenario also had this mutation. It is also possible that they had unprotected sex and he was fine. It's much less common for the man to contract HIV from the woman during intercourse, because he would have to have a cut on his male organs for the virus to enter his bloodstream.





To protect the child, I'm sure the doctors employed antivirals and protective drugs during the pregnancy. They might also have performed a C-section to prevent transmission during birth. Provided the mother did not breast feed, the baby would then be almost perfectly protected.





HIV positive people are able to safely have regular relationships - by abstaining from unprotected sexual activity.





Having seen the effects of AIDS first-hand, I'm afraid I would be a bit worried to date someone with HIV. It's pathetic - of all people I know exactly how HIV is transmitted...but it would worry me a bit, still. I would definitely be wary of having sex. I know condoms break and that no sex is truly safe-sex. I'd even worry about kissing...about the possibility of my boyfriend/date having say, an open sore in his mouth. But if I truly cared about the person, of course I would date him. If I ever got the disease myself, though, I would not have children...I would not risk orphaning them or passing on the disease.How are HIV positive people able to safely have relationships?
If they always use a condom, I guess it is at the very least *less* risky.


It could always break, however..





Anyway, I guess those two people tried having a child, and succeeded, and she was lucky enough not to contract AIDS. It doesn't ALWAYS infect people through sexual intercourse, though I don't know exactly what the rates are. If they keep f*cking without protection, it'll probably only be a matter of time before she catches it, however. =(





And no, I would NOT go out with a person who was HIV positive.


It would be far too risky! I appreciate my own life more than anything else, and thus I would not be willing to make such a gamble. It's like playing Russian roulette with your one and only existence... Don't count me in.
Would I? No... I would not...





But if you ALWAYS use a condom... EVERY SINGLE TIME... You can have sex with a person with HIV and not contract it yourself...





Even if a condom should break, the chances of getting HIV from your partner are slim as long as you use a condom EACH AND EVERY TIME because though it is possible to catch HIV with a single exposure, the chances are actually rather low that a single exposure can transmit it to you.





A girl I went to High School with is that ';One in a million'; that got HIV from oral sex... I know it is TOTALLY possible, but highly improbable to catch it in this manner.





It is all about the risks you want to take...





Also, not every child born to an HIV Infected parent has HIV. The body has ways of protecting the Fetus and though there are high likelihoods of the fetus contracting HIV, it is not guarenteed...





Personally, I would never take the chance of breeding if either I or my partner were HIV Positive... With millions of kids that need good homes, it is better to adopt a child in need or to have either an egg or sperm donor (depending if the mother or father has HIV) to have a child... i.e. If the woman has HIV, get an egg donor and if the man has HIV, get a sperm donor.





Breeding when you are ill like this is a SELFISH act...
They give pregnant women with HIV drugs that kinda block it from going to the baby. I'm not sure how the man wouldn't get it. Going out with someone with HIV would be the same as going out with allergies basically. You take precautions and just go with it. Use condoms. Religiously. It is possible though.





If they told me first, that would definitely affect the speed of intimacy. Although telling your partner is better than not telling them.





But sure.
I never had to look into how these things are not transmittable but I think for pregnant HIV women, if they take certain drugs it prevents her from passing it to her child. How an HIV positive man/woman gets pregnant without the other person becoming infected, I do not know.
when my ex and i broke up, he moved onto a girl who he knew was HIV positive. ever since then, i wont lay a hand on him even if he might be clean. i know it sounds wrong, but i put my health before my lovelife.
i always thought if i had HIV i would find another chick with HIV then we wouldnt have to worry about giving it to each other.
you use protection. IDK how the child (if the mom had it) did not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment